Reports: Frankie Edgar injured, off UFC 218 title fight vs. Max Holloway
Frankie Edgar has suffered an injury and will not be able to compete against featherweight champion Max Holloway at UFC 218.
The title fight was set to headline the UFC 218 pay-per-view, which takes place at Dec. 2 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit.
Representatives for Edgar (22-5-1 MMA, 16-5-1 UFC) declined comment to MMAjunkie on the situation.
The Combate report states a search is underway for a replacement to face Holloway (18-3 MMA, 14-2 UFC), who was to make his first title defense as undisputed champ after unifying the title with a dominant win over Jose Aldo at UFC 212.
Edgar most recently notched a win over up-and-comer Yair Rodriguez at UFC 211, upping his current win streak to two after a loss to Aldo in a fight for the interim featherweight title at UFC 200.
The UFC 218 lineup now includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Max Holloway vs. TBA – for featherweight title
- Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem
- Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje
- Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson
PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Paul Felder vs. Charles Oliveira
- Yancy Medeiros vs. Alex Oliveira
- Drakkar Klose vs. David Teymur
- Cortney Casey vs. Felice Herrig
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Sabah Homasi
- Jeremy Kimball vs. Dominick Reyes
- Amanda Cooper vs. Angela Magana
- Allen Crowder vs. Justin Willis
This story Reports: Frankie Edgar injured, off UFC 218 title fight vs. Max Holloway first appeared on MMA Junkie.