Michael Bisping Luke Rockhold UFC trilogy

Trilogy jaw-jacking continues between ex-UFC champs Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold

Published On March 14, 2018 | MMA News

The social media back-and-forth between a pair of ex-middleweight champions continues, but is it a build toward an actual trilogy fight booking?

Michael Bisping (30-9 MMA, 20-9 UFC) is looking for an opponent for his retirement fight, a fight he initially had hoped would be this week at UFC Fight Night 127 in London. He and Luke Rockhold (16-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) have fought twice before – Bisping took Rockhold’s title in the latter’s first attempted defense in 2016 – and clearly have no love lost.

They continued jaw-jacking through Twitter in the past 24 hours, and Rockhold implied a contract was on the table for Bisping to agree to, which Bisping denied.

Bisping initially had replied to a repost from Rockhold earlier this month announcing him as the new face of Ralph Lauren’s Polo Blue fragrance.

When Rockhold told Bisping to “sign the contract,” Bisping denied one existed. Then Rockhold said he was lying.

“Please, show me the suggested bout date, terms, location, arena, etc…..,” Bisping posted overnight. “you can’t!!! Know why? cos you’re full of shit, dipshit! In fact, scrub out the compensation and show me yours? You simply cannot, because it doesn’t exist. Dummy!”

Bisping started talking retirement fights after he lost the middleweight title to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 in November. The title he lost is the one he took from Rockhold in their second fight at UFC 199 in June 2016.

Rockhold this past week said the fight is very much a possibility, and Bisping didn’t dispute that on his “Believe You Me” podcast – though he did say Rockhold sounded “mentally challenged” and that he needed the right deal.

The two first fought at UFC Fight Night 55 in November 2014, where Rockhold won with a second-round guillotine choke after dropping Bisping with a head kick. Rockhold went on to finish Chris Weidman to win the title in December 2015.

After a loss to Yoel Romero in an interim middleweight title fight in the UFC 221 main event in February, Rockhold said a move up to light heavyweight may be in teh works for him. He said he’d be willing to fight Bisping at 205 pounds, though Bisping said on his podcast he might want to do the fight at 185, just to annoy Rockhold with a weight cut.


This story Trilogy jaw-jacking continues between ex-UFC champs Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold first appeard on MMA Junkie.

Leave a Reply